Q: How can I get my school, sporting group or community group involved?
A: Email us and ask us for an information pack and we will email you a digital welcome pack you can share with your school, sporting club or community group.
Q: Can parents buy the YOU CAN SIT WITH ME wristbands?
A: No the wristbands are only for sale to registered schools, sporting clubs and community groups.
Q: Can parents buy the pencils, water bottles and bag tags?
A: Yes parents can buy the pencils, water bottles and bag tags. Head to our shop on our website www.youcansitwithme.org.
Q: What age are the yellow wristbands for?
A: The yellow wristbands are for ages 5 to 12 or grades Kindergarten – grade 6.
Q: What age are the black wristbands for?
A: The black wristbands are for ages 13 to 18 years or high school students.
Q: How do I get in touch?
A: Please contact us either through the website www.youcansitwithme.org or via email firstname.lastname@example.org Don’t forget to visit our website regularly for our latest news, updates, media and ambassador news.
Q: How can I find you on social media?
A: You can like and follow us on Instagram @youcansitwithme5 and facebook/YOUCANSITWITHME.
Q: Are you a registered charity?
A: Yes we are a fully registered Australian charity.
Q: What is YOU CAN SIT WITH ME?
A: YOU CAN SIT WITH ME is a kindness campaign and an anti-bullying initiative that supports
children suffering with anxiety, depression and feelings of isolation.
Q: What is the aim of YOU CAN SIT WITH ME?
A: YOU CAN SIT WITH ME aims to bring communities together and promote kindness whilst stamping out bullying. It is 5 simple words to help change children’s lives.
Q: What is your over all goal?
A: Our goal is to be able to embed the YOU CAN SIT WITH ME campaign into all schools across Australia and with your help together we believe we can do this and we know this will help support fellow Australian children who feel isolated, depressed and anxious.
Q: How does YOU CAN SIT WITH ME help parents with their children?
A: Parents can remind their child that a child wearing the YOU CAN SIT WITH ME wristband is a safe person to go to who has been trained and will welcome them into a game or conversation. This is very reassuring for parents knowing that their child will have someone to sit with regardless of their age, race, religion, gender, or disability.
Q: How do you recommend the program is run?
A: Below is a list of recommendations and guidelines to assist you:
- We feel that not every child should have a wristband, this would cause a “fad” and the purpose will become lost. We have learnt from other schools that it seems to be effective in the years K-6 that each class has 5 wrist bands to give out and they are given out at the beginning of the week with the understanding that the children may
not want to wear it every day.
- We feel that children in leadership roles, peer support or class captains and vice captains should have access to the YOU CAN SIT WITH ME wristbands.
- Children who show kindness and compassion should also be considered to be YOU CAN SIT WITH ME ambassadors. As should children who you feel could benefit from wearing the wristband, who are trying to change behaviours or who have earned a wristband through positive or kind behaviour.
- What we feel what is important is that the children understand that if they wear a YOU CAN SIT WITH ME wristband it is a commitment for the day. We need the children to understand that if they make this commitment – they are not to take the wristband off for the duration of the school day or time in which has been allocated
to them to wear it.
- It is important that the children think carefully prior to wearing the wristband. They need to consider the following points prior to wearing the wristband:
- Am I having a good day today, do I feel strong enough to help others?
- Am I happy for anyone of any race, gender, age or culture to sit with me today?
- Am I too busy today to help other people because I have activities on at recess or lunch time
Q: Can I purchase the pencils, water bottles and bag tags for fundraising?
A: Yes, We sell the pencils, water bottles and bag tags for fundraising purposes. Please order through the shop on our website. www.youcansitwithme.org.
Q: Can I buy the wristbands for fundraising?
A: No. We do not sell the wristbands for fundraising, the wristbands are part of an inclusive school, sporting club and community program. We strongly feel that if every child wears a band that the message is lost and will become a fad that fades away. We don’t want that to happen as we have a long-term vision for these 5 simple, beautiful words to be a part of all school and club positive behaviour and anti-bullying guidelines. It is a very simple message with 5 simple words that can have a huge impact if used correctly.
Q: Where do proceeds go?
A: We use our proceeds to build resources for students, parents and teachers and we have partnered with the Australian Literacy and Numeracy Foundation and we donate a portion of profits to this great cause. The money goes directly to further improve the education of our Aboriginal and Refugee communities, something the children should be very proud of supporting.
Q: My school is located outside Australia, can my school still join the program and order wristbands?
A: Yes you can still join the program and we ship orders all over the world! Your school can email us the order at email@example.com and we will send an invoice for payment and ship the order to the school!